June 14, 2015 – Lancaster, PA
2nd Annual MakersFest
Street festival celebrating making & makers
The Pennsylvania Guild of Craftsmen will host the second annual MAKERSfest on the 300 block of N. Queen St. on Sunday, June 14 from 10 am to 4 pm. This street festival celebrates the beauty of a finished object, as well as the act of making. The Guild invites everyone to come for the day, to start making craft, to acquire a piece from a master craftsman, and revel in the creative expression of music, food, art, craft, and more.
The event features more than 50 craftsmen, live music, food trucks, and hands-on activities for all ages that focus on the artistry and ingenuity of making. All the craft on display is the inspired work of the craftsmen in the booth, ranging from ceramics to jewelry, handmade clothing, weaving, artisan furniture, functional objects, and more.
Make this shirt for free
Bring your own blank shirt* with you, and we’ll help you screenprint one of three available “Lancaster City of Makers” designs. You get to help. And youll be able to wear it home! Special thanks to Thaddeus Stevens Graphics department for the screenprinting and the sweet core for the designs.
*Fresh, clean, blank, made in USA shirts also available to purchase for $10 while supplies last. Your shirt can be white or color, adult or kid size.
Solder zone, make a pin
Beginning at 10 am, kids* ages 10 and up, can learn how to solder by making a little MakerBot pin. Each budding maker will be individually guided by an expert maker. The budding maker gets a turn soldering together the pin face to the tie-tack, and the red LED lights. Once finished, the robot pin will blink and can be worn home!
*Parent or guardian will need to sign a release. Cost of the lesson and materials is only $5.
Have you ever seen a sheep* in the middle of the street in Lancaster? Probably not. Here’s your chance. Discover the process of harvesting the wool, spinning to yarn, and then creating knitted and weaved objects with the Red Rose 4-H Fiber Artists. We’re eager to explain more. Meet Verna the sheep, and learn more about this rich, deep-rooted craft tradition.
*The sheep will not be sheared during the event.
- Silk-screen your own “Lancaster, City of Makers” shirt with Graphic Communications & Printing Technology at Thaddeus Stevens College of Technology
- Food Trucks in Building Character courtyard
- Paint watercolors with Susquehanna Waldorf School
- 3-D printing demonstrations with Lanco/Berks Makers
- Fleece to Shawl – shearing to weaving, knitting and spinning with Red Rose 4-H Fiber Artist Club
- Rare breed sheep with Flying Fibers
- Chalk up the sidewalk with Lancaster Creative Factory
- Soldering Zone (ages 10 & up) with Lanco/Berks Makers
- Live music with River Valley Music Collective
- Coffee making demonstration with Commonwealth on Queen
- Personalized bookmark printing with The .918 Club of Heritage Press Museum
- Plein air painting demonstration with Michael Allen
- Chain maille demonstration with Hempfield National Art Honor Society
- Spinning directly from angora rabbit with Ellen Anderson
- Street art demonstration with RBW graffiti crew and Annex 24 Gallery
Preview the festival
The Event Layout