Hand-Dyed Home Goods – October 18 & 19, 2014
click to register online or call us at 717-431-8706. email with inquiries.
Saturday & Sunday, 10 am – 5 pm
Pennsylvania Guild Center of American Craft, Lancaster (Directions)
Instructor: Kachina Martin
Skill Level: Open to all participants ages 12+. Students under 18 should register with an adult.
Want to refresh the interior of your home quickly and inexpensively? This class will focus on dyeing techniques to create a variety of items for the home … fun kitchen towels, fashionable pillow cases and pillow covers, trendy table runners, placemats and more!
This course will focus on shibori, the ancient Japanese fabric dyeing technique that utilizes a variety of methods – wrapping, tying, stitching, folding, twisting – to create richly textured patterns of color on fabric. Students will focus on pole-wrapped or arashi shibori, stitch resist shibori, and clamped shibori. Participants will complete a series of finished pieces as well as fabric samples suitable for multiple uses. No prior experience with dying is necessary. The instructor will discuss how the skills taught in this class will be adaptable to a variety of projects both large and small.
Materials fee: $35, payable to the instructor at the time of class will cover Procion dyebaths in a variety of colors, cotton fabrics, dishtowels, and pillow cases.
Materials or equipment students should bring from home:
• Dust Mask
• Carpet warp or similar weight of string, such as heavy-weight crochet thread (#10)
• PVC Piping – approximately 30-40” in length & either 4” or 5” diameter
• Smaller buckets for washing items & transporting home to dry
• 4 Sets of Flat Wooden Shapes – (approximately ½ thick) either square or rounded; cannot have small projecting parts. Total of 8 (any size).
• 4 Plastic Clamps or other clamps that can be submerged in water & hold approximately 3” worth of materials securely
• Scissors – the sharper, the better
• Masking Tape – 1” wide
• Plastic Gloves – like the ones used to do dishes – the longer, the better!
• Drying Rack
• Old bath towels
• 2 garbage bags
• Apron or clothes you don’t mind getting messy
• 1lb table salt
• 1 spool of polyester thread in a bright or dark color (red, blue, black) – MUST be polyester!
• 2 pillow cases, MUST be 100% cotton fibers, that have been laundered
Per the manufacturer’s recommendations, women who are pregnant are advised NOT to take this course due to the use of powdered Procion dyes.